As your child ages, you might assume they don’t need a stroller any longer. However, even your toddler and preschooler can benefit from a stroller. On long trips or day trips, their little legs get tired after walking long distances. Unless you want to carry your big kid everywhere, a stroller is a perfect place for them to rest.
A stroller for big kids requires different criteria. Most strollers are designed for smaller babies, and the maximum weight limit can be low. Generally, the maximum weight for strollers is 50 pounds. However, if you have a child with a disability, you need a stroller with a better weight limit. Luckily, more manufacturers are meeting this investment and creating strollers for these families.
You need to look for a stroller with a weight limit between 50 and 70 pounds. Parents have to read more details because many strollers have a 30-pound limit. There is a surprisingly large amount of options for the best stroller for big kids.
The Best Stroller for Big Kids
The following reviews are of our top choices. They are listed with the highest weight limits first. As the list goes down, the maximum weight capacity will decrease. All of these strollers are capable of holding a child up to 50 pounds.
Joovy Zoom 360 Ultralight Jogging Stroller
Joovy makes modern, stylish stroller designed for chic parents. Their Zoom 360 is a light, simple, reliable and nicely performing stroller. You can take your baby out for long strolls with the Zoom 360. It has a straight, rear axle and graphite colored aluminum frame. Joovy added black rims for a style.
There are almost too many impressive features to mention! Here are a few of the highlights that parents love the most.
- The stroller weighs 25.7 pounds, lighter than most standard strollers on the market. You can easily lift it in and out of the trunk of your vehicle.
- A rear axle allows you to push the stroller straighter than other high-end jogging strollers.
- Shock absorbing suspension lets you glide over bumps and cracks with ease.
- Pneumatic 16-inch rear wheels and a 12-inch front wheel increase the quality of the ride. Your baby won’t be tossed around while jogging, creating a comfortable environment. The front wheel allows for maximum maneuverability. Parents can lock the wheelbase when running for stability.
- There is a one-step linked parking brake in the rear for secure
- Joovy included a tire pump so you can fill up the tires while on the go!
- The Zoom can hold children up to 75 pounds!
- Your child has a comfortable seat with mesh pockets for snacks and drinks.
- Parents can fold the stroller easily, and there is a convenient, auto-lock feature. You will be impressed while how compactly it folds considering the size of the stroller.
- You can purchase separate car seat adapters allowing you to use it from birth up. It makes an excellent choice for a travel system.
- Parents have their own convenient, parent organizer. It is made of durable neoprene and features two cup holders. There is also a zippered pocket for your valuables.
It is clear why these are one of the best strollers for big kids. The Joovy Zoom 360 offers all of the features parents want in a stroller. It is durable, stylish, has a high weight limit, and ideal storage.
Thule Urban Glide Sport Stroller
If you have more money in your budget to spend on a stroller for your big kid, the Thule Urban Glide is luxury on rolls. It is an all-around sport stroller that is sleek and has a lightweight design. Parents who like to jog or who like in an urban setting can appreciate the thoughtful design of the Glide.
Just like the Zoom 360, the Glide has impressive features that make it one of the top choices. Here is what you need to know to make your decision.
- It has a high weight capacity of 75 pounds!
- The front wheel swivels, allowing for easy maneuverability. It can lock in place for safe jogging. Thule also added a removable wrist strap for safety.
- The padded, ergonomic handlebar can adjust to different heights, adding comfort for the parents. Parents who are taller than average won’t have to hunch over.
- It is one of the lightest choices on the market for a jogging stroller, weighing only 23 pounds. Parents can transport and push the stroller with ease.
- All you need is one hand to fold the stroller. The steps are easy. Just slide and twist the lever, then the stroller folds in half.
- Under the seat, there is a large, water-resistant bin that zips shut for the safety of your items. Nothing can fall out when you go over bumps or hilly terrain!
- The full rear-suspension system absorbs any and all impacts. It creates a smooth ride for your child. If he is sleeping during your morning jog, the bumps won’t disturb him.
- A five-point harness keeps your baby safe. The seat is padded and ventilated for a comfortable ride. It also can recline to a near flat position for naps on the go.
- The sunshade is fully adjustable so you can block the sun from all angles. There is a peek-a-boo window that allows parents to see their baby when he is napping.
The Thule Urban Glide has all of the essential qualities that parents need. You can purchase a car seat adapter that allows you to use it with your newborn baby. The major downside of the Glide is the price. It is double the cost of many of the popular choices. However, if you have the ability to purchase it, you won’t go wrong! The reviews are fabulous!
Baby Jogger 2016 Summit X3 Single Jogging Stroller
Baby Jogger is a favorite brand of strollers known for high-quality, luxury strollers with all of the bells and whistles you could want. This particular stroller is meant for a single child, but you can also purchase the same stroller in a double format. The double stroller is perfect for twins or an infant and a toddler!
Here are some of the features we love about the Baby Jogger! There are so many great attributes.
- It has a maximum weight recommendation of 75 pounds! This is the third choice with a high weight limit. Most six-year-olds could still fit into this stroller.
- Parents love the UV 50+ sun canopy that offers plenty of shade for your baby (or babies). There is a peek-a-boo window that lets you check on your baby without disturbing them, especially if they are napping. The canopy is adjustable to multiple positions.
- The seats were built for comfort. It can recline to a near flat position with vents and a retractable weather cover. Your young infant can take a nap while on the go. The weather cover keeps your baby comfortable in all conditions.
- If you want a travel system, you can pair the Baby Jogger with the City GO infant car seat. You could also use any brand infant car seat if you purchase a separate car seat adapter.
- The stroller has three wheels; the front one swivels and can lock into place for jogging. Locking the wheel is easy. All you have to do is flip the lever to lock the wheels or release the lever when you want the wheel to swivel.
- A patented quick fold technology lets you fold the stroller with one hand.
- A hand operated rear drum brake adds control for safety, especially on uneven or hilly terrain.
- For storage, there is a large under the seat basket as well as a storage compartment on the back of the seat.
- An adjustable five-point harness keeps your baby safe. They also included shoulder pads to make the harness more comfortable.
The major downside to the Baby Jogger is the price tag! It is close to the Thule Glide. Also, the Baby Jogger doesn’t include any accessories like a child tray or parent tray. You can purchase them separately if they are a necessity. This stroller is like pushing air; it is that amazing!
BOB 2016 Revolution FLEX Stroller
Are you an outdoor enthusiast? Jogging parents rave about the Flex stroller. If you jog or run on a regular basis, it is best to invest in a stroller able to withstand the bumps that come with it. Jogging can put a lot of strain on a stroller, so it is best to purchase a stroller meant for parents who run miles each week, sometimes daily!
If you are wondering what makes the BOB Flex so amazing, here are the impressive features!
- It is a rugged stroller designed for children from eight weeks old up to 75 pounds! This is our fourth choice with this impressive weight capacity!
- The front wheel can swivel for maneuverability or lock for stability when you are jogging. Even though it is a jogging stroller, you can bring it shopping or to a festival. It turns on a dime and can maneuver around tight corners.
- The suspension system is adjustable; it handles bumps and uneven terrain like a dream.
- An adjustable handlebar is ideal! Parents of all heights can enjoy this feature, especially those who are shorter or taller than average! There are nine available positions.
- If you want a travel system, you can pair the BOB Flex with the BOB B-Safe 35 Infant Car Seat by Britax! It becomes the best travel system for parents with an active lifestyle.
- Parents fold the stroller in two easy steps.
- The Flex has a 15% larger storage basket than other models by BOB.
- The seat reclines, but it also can sit fully upright. Most strollers have a constant recline that can frustrate older babies. The Flex lets your child sit all the way up, perfect for big kids!
- The canopy is large and offers UPF 50+ sun protection. It provides fantastic coverage over your child!
The BOB Flex isn’t a cheap option either. However, it is the number one rated jogging stroller for parents who rack up the miles each week. The Flex has a high weight limit, a one-hand recline adjustment as well as letting the child sit fully upright, and many other amazing features. Jogging parents can’t beat this stroller!
Baby Jogger 2016 City Mini GT Single Stroller
Our next choice for the best stroller for big kids is also by Baby Jogger! The City Mini is their best-selling stroller; parents who live in urban areas love the maneuverability. Plus, it is stylish and sleek. Running errands around town is a breeze with the City Mini.
Parents leave high reviews for the Mini GT. It has some of the best features. The GT has some noticeable upgrades compared to the regular City Mini. Here is what you need to know; you are going to want to buy this stroller!
- The plush, comfortable seat holds a child up to 65 pounds!
- The stroller is lightweight and weighs only 22.5lbs. Parents can easily carry it up and downstairs.
- A UV 50+ sun canopy offers a lot of shade for sunny days. It is large and adjustable with a peek-a-boo window, allowing you to check on your baby while on the go.
- You fold the stroller with a lift of a strap. It takes only one hand; it is that simple!
- For easy storage, Baby Jogger included an auto-lock. It folds compactly, and it won’t unfold during transporting.
- All-terrain forever-air wheels glide over bumps and cracks. Your baby won’t be tossed around and will have a peaceful ride.
- The handlebar is adjustable for parents of all heights.
- The parking brake is flip-flop friendly, perfect for summer time or those who are lucky enough to live in constant warm weather.
- You can create your travel system if you pair the City Mini GT with the City GO infant car seat. You can also use your existing infant car seat if you purchase an adapter.
There are a lot of accessories available to add to your stroller. You could buy a universal parent console or parent tray. Baby Jogger has a lot of great choices! However, most parents would prefer these items to be included especially due to the price of the City Mini GT.
However, the City Mini GT has attributes that parents love. It is lightweight, nimble, with all-terrain wheels. The little touches, like the adjustable handlebar, makes this stroller shine! It is cheaper than a few listed above, putting in a medium price range!
UPPAbaby G-Luxe Stroller
If you want a stroller that closely resembles an umbrella stroller, the G-Luxe may be your best bet. Most umbrella strollers have very low weight limits, but the G-Luxe is lightweight and easy to take places. It has many of the features you would want in the lightweight stroller for quick trips or vacation.
- You can use the G-Luxe with babies three months old up to 55 pounds. It is a lower weight limit than other choices, but it is high for a lightweight stroller.
- It is one of the lightest reclining strollers. Your baby can take a nap while running errands. It has a one-handed reclining seat with an adjustable footrest.
- Including the wheels, basket, and canopy, the stroller only weighs 15 pounds! You can carry it around with ease. To decrease the weight, UPPAbaby crafted their stroller with a lightweight, aluminum frame.
- Folding the G-Luxe is simple. Pull on the hand-level trigger with your fingers; no footwork is required. Once folded, the stroller can stand on its own, a great storage feature. If you have to travel with the stroller, UPPAbaby included a convenient carrying strap.
- The sunshade is extendable and offers SPF 50+ sun protection. The canopy can extend over your child. It is easy to open. You can also remove the canopy entirely.
- The fabric and seat pad are removable and machine washable. This feature is excellent; big kids are known to spill drinks and snacks! Best of all, you can use the stroller if the seat pad is in the washer!
- The handlebar is ergonomic, making it easier for parents of all heights to push their child
- Parents have an included cup holder.
- The wheels are 5.75 inches in diameter and are durable! You bring your stroller to a stop with a one-step brake.
The G-Luxe does have a few negatives to consider before purchase. For big kids, the upright position may not be upright enough for their likings. When folded, the stroller is bulkier than you would expect. The storage basket can be hard to access especially if the child is reclining during a nap. Also, it does take two hands to fold the stroller.
Despite these negatives, the G-Luxe receives high reviews. Parents love that the stroller is lightweight with a great weight limit. It offers all of the necessary features for a travel stroller!
Baby Jogger 2015 Vue Lite Umbrella Stroller
Baby Jogger makes another appearance on our list! This time, we are examining one of their umbrella strollers. Unlike the other two choices, the Vue Lite is budget friendly, listed under $150. If you are looking for a lightweight stroller that is well-made, the Vue would be a good choice. Unlike other cheaply built umbrella strollers, the Vue Lite can carry children that weigh up to 55 pounds.
- The reversible seat, umbrella stroller weighs only 14.5 pounds!
- The Vue has one unique feature – you can reverse the seat. With one hand, you can flip the seat forward or back. Your baby can face the parent or face outwards, looking at the world around them! This feature is abnormal and not found in many other strollers.
- When you fold the stroller, an auto-lock features keep it together for safe transportation.
- There are harness systems on both sides of the seat so you can buckle your child in safety without the need to rethreading the harness.
- A large sun canopy provides your child with UV 50+ sun protection. It is wide enough to cover your baby in both positions!
- When facing the parent, the Vue is an adequate choice for a baby younger than three months old. It can recline nearly flat, so your child with little to no head control can relax and sleep while on the go.
- The Vue Lite has 5-inch swivel wheels for a smooth ride.
- An under the seat basket stores all of the child’s necessary items.
- You can make the Vue Lite a travel system with an infant car seat if you purchase a car seat adapter.
Despite coming from Baby Jogger, the Vue Lite is not intended for jogging. It doesn’t provide the necessary stability. However, it has some great features! The reversible seat is unique, making it a stroller you can use from birth up to 55 pounds. You will get plenty of years out of this stroller. It also has important features like the larger canopy and deep recline when in the parent facing mode.
Britax 2016 B-Agile Stroller
Britax is a well-known brand that creates top of the line baby products. The B-Agile is a lightweight stroller that parents can use from birth up to 55 pounds. If you have a Britax infant car seat, you can pair it with the B-Agile for a unique travel system.
If you love Britax products, you are going to love the B-Agile. It has all of the necessary features parents could want and more.
- The stroller is easy to carry; it weighs only 18 pounds! Britax designed the stroller with a lightweight, aluminum frame, which is a durable material.
- The 3-wheel configuration is easy to navigate around turns and corners. The front wheel swivels through tight areas. It is an excellent choice for urban parents.
- Parents can fold the stroller with one hand! That is a convenient feature since parents often have a baby in arms.
- For storage, there is a large basket under the seat as well as a zippered pocket for the essentials you need close at hand.
- The maximum weight is 55 pounds; it will give you at least five years of use!
- You can use this stroller from birth! The seat reclines almost flat, and, when used with a head support piece, your new baby will be content.
- The canopy is generously sized, ideal for parents who spend a lot of time outside. It will cover the majority of your child.
Just like all Britax products, the B-Agile is high-quality. It maneuvers like a dream, in any area, you could imagine. At 18 pounds, you’ll have no issues lifting it in and out of the trunk or carrying it up stairs.
There are two obvious negatives. The seat doesn’t fit fully upright, an annoyance for big kids. Also, the cup holders and child’s tray are sold separately. Considering the price point, parents would prefer them to be included. However, if those two negatives aren’t a deal breaker for you, the B-Agile should make your list as one of the best stroller for big kids.
Maclaren Techno XT Stroller
Maclaren makes award-winning strollers with impressive features and an eye to safety. Their Techno XT is a full-size umbrella stroller known for easy maneuvering and a smooth ride for kids. Unlike typical umbrella strollers, the Techno XT is made for newborn babies up to children weighing 55 pounds!
When you think of an umbrella stroller, you probably think of a cheaply made $20 stroller you can find at any store. Maclaren is changing the world of umbrella strollers. The Techno is priced high, but it has features and durability rivaling standard strollers.
- The seat has a full recline offering four positions with a convenient, one-handed adjustment. There is a built-in newborn safety system allowing you to use this stroller from birth. It has a coordinating head hugger and shoulder pads.
- The footrest is extendable and grows with your child.
- It is lightweight, weighing 14.5 pounds, and compact. The stroller is constructed of high-tech aircraft grade aluminum.
- When folded, the stroller is compact and features an auto-lock that keeps the stroller closed. There is also a carrying strap for easy transportation.
- The seat is easily removed and can be put into the washing machine for easy cleaning. With big kids, spills happen even more frequently!
- An oversized, waterproof hood protects your child from the sun and elements. It has a UPF 50+ sun canopy with a built-in sun visor. UV rays won’t harm your child, and he can enjoy the stroller in all situations.
- Maclaren offers a sovereign lifetime warranty on their products.
- For storage, there is a basket located under the seat. It isn’t a huge basket, but it could handle a diaper bag or shopping bags!
There are a few obvious disadvantages to the Techno XT. First, the price is high, rivaling some full sized jogging strollers. Maclaren failed to include a child’s tray or cup holders. Parents have to purchase these separate, a disappointment because of the price. Also, it won’t handle uneven and bumpy terrain as well as a full-sized stroller.
However, if you live in the city and need a lightweight stroller that is easy to transport, you can’t beat the Maclaren Techno XT. The weight allows you to take it on and off of public transportation with ease. Plus, you can use it from birth, an unusual feature for umbrella strollers!
Zoe XL2 Best Double Xtra Lightweight Twin Travel and Everyday Umbrella Stroller System
Double strollers weigh a lot. An average, single strollers weigh between 20 and 30 pounds. A double stroller can easily weigh 40 pounds. The Zoe XL2 is the best stroller for big kids if you are looking for a super lightweight stroller. When we say that the Zoe is lightweight, we mean that it only weighs 16 pounds! It is one of the lightest double strollers on the market.
Besides the lightweight design, the Zoe XL2 offers other impressive features!
- Each seat can hold a child up to 50 pounds. While it isn’t the highest weight capacity available, it is impressive for such a lightweight stroller. Parents with an infant and a toddler can benefit from this stroller.
- The wheels come with a lifetime warranty and guarantee. If they break, Zoe will fix or replace them.
- Zoe includes a lot of accessories such as a padded front belly bar, one snack cup, two child cup holders, and a parent cup holder. There is also a large storage pocket on the back of each canopy for items like your keys or cell phone.
- For storage, a large basket is located under the seats. It can hold shopping bags or a diaper bag with ease.
- Folding the stroller is quick, perfect for public transportation or traveling. Once folded, it is compact.
- The sunshade is expandable with four panels; it is one of the largest on the market. They also included a peek-a-boo window.
- The seat can recline to a deep, 135-degree However, the recommended age to start using the Zoe XL2 is six months old. The seat doesn’t lay flat, making it the wrong choice for newborn children.
It is evident why so many parents love this stroller. It is one of the best strollers for big kids, capable of carrying a total of 100 pounds. If you want the lightest double stroller you can find because of traveling or transportation, the Zoe XL2 is the best choice you can find!
We found ten awesome choices for the best stroller for big kids. You have to consider the maximum weight capacity you need. If your child is already a toddler, you may want to purchase a stroller that offers a 75-pound weight limit. Luckily, there are four options listed with this insanely high weight limit!
These strollers revolutionize what we consider an umbrella stroller. The manufacturers took the critical features that parents want in an umbrella stroller and combined them to make durable and lightweight with surprisingly high weight capacities.
Do you have a favorite stroller for big kids? Let us know in the comments!