Toddlerhood is a time for new transitions. Your child isn’t a baby, but he isn’t also a preschooler. All of the new found freedom is exciting. He now knows he can move, run, and escape mama quickly. At the same time, his legs still get tired after walking for long periods and naps are still a necessity.
When you are out and about with your toddler, having the best umbrella stroller for toddlers will make your life easier. Trips to the zoo with an umbrella stroller give your toddler the best viewpoint to see all the animals while giving their legs a break! Shopping day is easier because you have space in the storage basket for items, and your toddler can catch a nap in the umbrella stroller.
How to Pick the Best Umbrella Stroller for Toddlers
There are hundreds of umbrella strollers on the market. Some are designed for younger babies, but you need to find one with toddlers in mind. This means you have to think like a toddler and think about what features they need and want. Here are some things to consider!
- Weight Limit: Toddlers weigh more than most babies. If your stroller is meant to be for a toddler and the following years, you want an umbrella stroller with a higher weight capacity. Don’t select a stroller with a 30 or 35-pound limit; it won’t last you long enough! Instead, look for a stroller with a weight capacity of 50 pounds!
- Recline: Most umbrella strollers offer some kind of recline. Unlike newborn babies, your toddler doesn’t need a near flat recline. However, the ideal choice will have at least two reclining positions so your toddler can catch naps while on the go. At the same time, check for a seat that sits fully upright. Strollers sometimes have a permanent recline, which is frustrating for older kids who want to sit straight up and take in the world around. If the stroller can recline and sit straight up, it is a perfect choice!
- Snack Trays: Parents know that toddlers are eating machines. They don’t need three meals a Instead, it seems as if they need 12! Toddlers love to snack throughout the day. Snack trays are fantastic additions to umbrella strollers. It gives them a place to eat a snack or their lunch, along with a place to store their drinks.
- Canopy: Unless you keep your toddler inside at all times, you need a canopy. Toddlers have sensitive skin, just like babies. Canopies allow you to protect your child from the sun or the rain. Luckily, most umbrella strollers offer some sort of canopy. The question is the size.
- Storage: This feature may not matter the most to your toddler, but it matters to most parents. A large storage basket is perfect; it gives you a place to store all of the shopping bags and diaper bag when you are out and about. Some strollers have a hanging bag behind the seat for parents to store necessities.
Choices for the Best Umbrella Stroller for Toddlers
Let’s take a look at the best choices based on reviews left my parents. There are so many great options; this list should narrow it down!
Inglesina USA Trip Stroller
- It is usable from three-months-old up to 55 pounds.
- A handy, carrying handle lets you transport the stroller once folded.
- There is a peek-a-boo window when the canopy opens, as well as a hood flap and sun visor.
- It features four different reclining positions and an adjustable footrest, allowing the stroller to grow with your child.
- Inglesina included a bumper bar, a cup holder, a storage basket, a rain cover, and padded shoulder straps.
If you want a lightweight umbrella stroller with features found in a full-size stroller, you need the Inglesina USA. It is a unique, modern style featuring beautiful and vibrant colors. Inglesina designed the USA Trip with comfort in mind. There are four reclining positions; the stroller grows with your child and offers comfortable positions for naps. The seat is padded, so your baby has a cozy place to sit.
Strollers need to have a comfortable, smooth glide. Inglesina added a shock absorbing suspension system that decreases bumps and bouncing when on uneven terrain. Weighing only 15.4 pounds, the Trip is lightweight and compact, so it is easy to push while traveling. Parents love the padded handlebars, so pushing your child is comfortable.
If you love to travel, the USA Trip could be the best option for you. You can fold the stroller easily because of the simple folding mechanism. There is a large storage basket for the diaper bag or shopping bags. Also, parents rave about the size of the canopy. It features an extension, and it will cover a majority of your child. The included rain cover protects your toddler from the elements.
Overall, if you want a stylish, modern and lightweight umbrella stroller, the Inglesina USA Trip stroller is one of the best choices! It has almost every feature designed, besides a snack tray.
Graco Breaze Click Connect Stroller
- Holds a child from birth to 50 pounds
- Can be used with all Graco Click Connect infant car seats for a custom travel system.
- There are multiple reclining positions, so your baby can sleep or relax.
- An extra-large storage basket gives you plenty of space for your items.
If you are looking to find an umbrella stroller, you can use from birth and up, the Graco Breaze Click Connect accepts all Graco Click Connect infant car seats! It is a unique, simple choice for parents. You can use the stroller from birth up to 50 pounds, giving you years of use out of one baby product!
Graco included many of the features that parents want to see in strollers. The UV 50 canopy is extra-large, so it covers a majority of your child. Graco also included a pop out sun visor for additional coverage. For a smooth ride, the front wheels swivel with suspension. You can maneuver around tight corners or ride over uneven terrain with ease.
The best reason to purchase the Graco Breaze is that it is a versatile choice. First, you can use it the infant car seat. Once your child has head control or can sit assisted, you can move him into the stroller. The convertible three or five-point harness keeps your child safe, and it adjusts as he grows. You can expect to use the stroller for three or four years!
There are even more impressive features! Graco included a removable, parent cup holder, and a large storage basket. You won’t have any trouble accessing the storage basket while on the go!
- Usable for newborn babies and children up to 55 pounds.
- It is lightweight, weighing only 12.6 lbs.
- The canopy is oversized with an extra sun visor for more coverage.
- The seat cover is machine washable, a needed quality!
Maclaren makes luxury, high-quality strollers made with durable materials. One thing to note is that they are more expensive than other choices, but you are paying for top quality. The Maclaren Quest will last for years to come and through multiple children, making it worth the cost.
If you want a compact yet full-featured stroller, the Quest is a perfect choice. You can use it for newborn babies and children up to 55 pounds! Maclaren’s exclusive Newborn Safety System guarantees that even tiny babies enjoy their ride. It features a full recline, four position seat with an easy, one-handed adjustment.
Maclaren used high-tech, lightweight, aircraft grade aluminum to create one of the lightest, full-featured strollers on the market. Folding it takes only a few seconds, and it is quite compact when folded. It has a handy, auto-lock and a carrying strap, so it is an excellent choice for parents who like to travel.
The features don’t stop there! The canopy is oversized with an expandable sun visor. The entire hood is waterproof and protects your child from harmful, UPF 50+ sun rays. The visor provides, even more, coverage on those bright, sunny days outside. The seat features a removable and machine washable cover, making clean up a breeze. Maclaren includes a premium, wind-resistant rain cover.
While the price may make the Quest unattainable for some, it is full of great features and top quality. It will arrive at your house fully assembled, so less work for you! Also, they offer self-service replaceable parts. You can order parts like wheels and hoods if something happens to break!
Kolcraft Cloud Plus Lightweight Stroller
- Perfect for children up to 50 pounds.
- Offers multiple reclining positions for your child
- Both the child and parents have a tray for convenience, along with cup holders.
- The Cloud Plus only weighs 12 pounds, making it one of the lightest choices.
Kolcraft is a well-known brand that creates fantastic baby products. If you spend long enough in the baby aisle, you will notice numerous products with their name. One of their best-selling strollers is the Cloud Plus. It is a lightweight stroller, perfect for errands and traveling. The total weight of the Cloud Plus is only 12 pounds. Since it is compact when folded, you won’t have any issues keeping it in your trunk.
The reason why the Kolcraft Cloud Plus rates so highly are that it features many of the important qualities in full-size strollers. The child has their own tray with a cup holder, a feature not found in every umbrella stroller. Parents have a tray as well with two cup holders perfect for your coffee while on the go. A large storage basket is under the seat. You can access it easily.
Best of all, the Cloud Plus is priced below $100, so it is an affordable purchase. You get so much for a little amount of money! The all-terrain wheels allow you to take the stroller on uneven terrain without tossing your child from side to side. A five-point harness keeps your child safe in their seat. A five-point harness keeps your seat, and a large canopy with an extended, three-tier canopy blocks the elements.
You can’t beat an affordable umbrella stroller that has all the necessary features of a full-size stroller!
Joovy New Groove Ultralight Umbrella Stroller
- Crafted with lightweight 6061, aircraft grade aluminum, the stroller weighs only 13.9 pounds.
- Usable from three-months-old up to 55 lbs.
- The canopy is huge! It offers more sun protection than most brands.
- It reclines to a deep, 149 degrees, a nearly flat position!
- There is an essential parent organizer for important items and seat mesh pockets for your child’s snacks or drink.
When you are ready to ditch the bulky, full-size stroller, the Joovy Ultralight is the next step up. It combines an urban, lightweight stroller with the comfort and sturdiness of a full-size stroller. It offers features not typically seen in other choices for the best umbrella stroller for toddlers.
Joovy crafted the Groove to be ultralight. It uses aircraft grade aluminum to reduce the overall weight of the stroller. The design is thoughtful, featured reinforced side supports and non-pinch hinges. The construction is durable and supportive, capable of carrying a child up to 55 pounds. Unlike other umbrella strollers, there is no inward flex when your larger child sits in the seat.
Parents rave about the canopy! It is one of the largest available and offers more protection than other ones on the list. There is also an extendable sun visor that covers the entire seating area. A peek-a-boo window allows parents to keep an eye on their baby as they nap.
The Joovy Groove grows with your child. You can start to use the stroller for children three months old and up. There is an infinite amount of reclining positions and two footrest positions available. Your toddler is guaranteed to be comfortable. To increase the comfort, all wheel suspension creates a smooth ride even on uneven terrain.
Joovy did a fantastic job creating the best umbrella stroller for toddlers. Folding is only a two-step process, and it is compact, perfect for your trunk. There is plenty of storage space for parents! A lower storage basket, a zippered parent pocket, a mesh bottle holder and two mesh pockets for your child gives you tons of options for those necessary items. It is easy to see why the Joovy New Groove is an excellent choice for all parents!
UPPAbaby G-Lite Stroller
- It can be used for babies six months old up to children weighing 55 pounds.
- Weighs only 10 pounds!
- To maximize air flow, a lightweight and removable mesh sling seat creates the ultimate warm weather stroller.
Do you live somewhere with a constant warm climate? If so, the G-Lite is a perfect choice. It is lightweight with a lot of air flow for those warm days. It is lightweight and portable, allowing you to get around the town easier than ever before with your toddler in tow. With convenient carrying handles, you can take the G-Lite with you anywhere.
The G-Lite is ultra-lightweight, weighing only 10 pounds. UPPAbaby used a mesh sling seat for breathability and comfort on hot days. At the same time, mesh reduces the overall weight of the stroller. The seat fabric is removable and machine washable, so you can quickly clean up spills.
UPPAbaby added plenty of other features. An extendable SPF 50+ canopy covers your child and protects him from harmful UV rays. Folding the stroller is so easy. There is a hand lever that lets you fold it with just your fingers; you don’t have to use your feet at all. One folded, the G-Lite stands on its own, perfect for storage. They also included a convenient storage basket and cup holder for convenience.
It is easy to see why the UPPAbaby G-Lite is considered the best umbrella stroller for toddlers. The mesh sling seat, removable and adjustable canopy and maximum weight capacity of 55 pounds makes a versatile, unique and convenient umbrella stroller.
Summer Infant 3D Lite Convenience Stroller
- Weighs only 12 pounds!
- Holds a child up to 50 lbs.
- It features a large, adjustable canopy that blocks 99.9% of UVA and UVB rays!
- Your child can recline almost flat, along with multiple other positions.
Summer Infant creates the number one best-selling umbrella stroller: the 3D Lite. It features an ultralight, aluminum frame, so it only weighs 12 pounds! You won’t have any troubles carrying or pushing the stroller. But, its durability is fantastic. Aluminum is one of the strongest materials to use for strollers.
Traveling is a breeze when you use the 3D Lite. It takes only three steps to fold the stroller. You lift the rear handle, push the lever with your foot, and fold it down. Once folded, you can use the automatic lock and carrying strap, convenient features when you need to take it along with you.
Summer Infant included all of the necessary features parents want to see in a stroller. The canopy is larger than most choices. It has a pop out sun visor for additional protection. If your baby is sleepy or you need to change a diaper, the 3D Lite has an open frame, so the seat lays nearly flat! You can use this stroller for younger infants and toddlers. It also features a five-point safety harness that adjusts to three height positions, growing with your child.
Parents overall love the Summer Infant 3D Lite. The storage basket is perfect for diaper bags and valuable items. It is comfortable, lightweight, easy to use and affordable!
GB Pockit Stroller
- It is the world’s smallest folded stroller, holding the record!
- The Pockit weighs less than 11 pounds, making it easy to push and carry.
- Usable for a child up to 55 pounds!
No list of umbrella strollers is complete without the smallest, folded stroller on the market. It holds the Guinness Book of World Records for the folding champion of self-standing strollers. It measures 12 inches x 7 inches x 12 inches when folded. If your family is constantly on the go or traveling, the GB Pockit is a perfect choice!
When traveling, you can switch from pushing to carrying in only a few seconds. It is ideal for trips by plane or traveling around an urban city. There is no other umbrella stroller like the Pockit. You might assume, because of its size, that it can’t hold a larger child. However, its strong and expertly designed frame allows the stroller to be used for kids up to 55 pounds!
The Pockit will grow with your child. There is a comfortable, adjustable harness with shoulder and crotch pads for comfort. You can keep all of your necessities in the basket under the seat that can hold up to 11 pounds. For easy traveling, the front wheels can swivel and lock, allowing for maneuvering around tight spaces and stability on uneven terrain.
Because the recline is minimal, you should only use the Pockit for babies who can hold up their head. However, your toddler will do excellent. If you love to travel, the GB Pockit is the best umbrella stroller for toddlers!
Finding the Right Choice for You
An umbrella stroller is a necessity for parents of toddlers. Toddlers are busy little people who are fast and who love to run off. They also get tired legs and are too heavy to carry for long distances. The best umbrella stroller for toddlers solves all of the problems, but the problem is figuring out which one is right for your child.
First, always take a look at the budget. A higher price tag doesn’t always mean the stroller is the better choice! Look at the features. You want to find a stroller with the features that matter to you. If you need a stroller that reclines flat, there are a few choices. If you like to go to festivals or ride on uneven terrain, check for a stroller with awesome wheel suspension. Think about your unique lifestyle before making a final decision
Do you have a favorite umbrella stroller? Let us know in the comments!